• Home
  • |
  • About Us
  • |
  • Advertise with us
  • |
  • Jobs
  • |
  • Contact Us
The Ancient Times

hhhh

  • Saturday 21st of October 2017 11:54:38 AM
  •  |
  • Temperature 27°C, Weather Clouds, Cloud 40%, Wind 2.6m/s





The Ancient Times

Ruthless Halep ousts Sharapova from China Open
photo

BEIJING: Maria Sharapova opened up on the despair she feels in defeat after she was ruthlessly knocked out of the China Open in the third round by Romania's Simona Halep on Wednesday. The world number two was an emphatic 6-2, 6-2 winner in 72 minutes to leave five-time Grand Slam champion Sharapova still searching for her first title since returning from a doping ban in April. The Russian Sharapova, a former number one now languishing at 104 in the world rankings following her 15-month suspension for taking meldonium, gave an insight into the rollercoaster of emotions in top-level tennis. "Hard work is not good enough any more, maybe it was -- I don't know how many years ago -- but that's just not a factor any more," said the 30-year-old, asked about comments in a book she recently released. "The reason I say that is there's some incredible moments, very high moments, and there are very low moments.
"There have been times where I get off the court and you think, I don't wish this on my future child. The feeling is so tough and disappointing. "You work so much, you dedicate so much of your time, you have so many people around you, and sometimes it doesn't work according to plan, so you start asking questions. "But then once you work, you keep going, keep fighting through it, the rewards are very incredible and special. "They have nothing to do with finance, they have nothing to do with trophies, it's really internal." Halep, the second seed on Beijing's outdoor hard courts, is the first woman into the China Open quarter-finals.
Having turfed out Sharapova and with world number one Garbine Muguruza exiting in the first round with a virus, the 26-year-old Halep is now favourite in the Chinese capital.
Nick Kyrgios said he wanted to make up for his notorious meltdown in Shanghai last year as he beat Mischa Zverev in the second round in Beijing. A year ago the supremely talented but combustible Kyrgios was suspended for his petulant behaviour at the Shanghai Masters, where he swore and argued with the crowd and appeared to give away points in caving in to the German. The enigmatic Australian, seeded eighth in the Chinese capital, smashed his racquet on the floor in anger, bending the head in half, when he conceded the opening set on Wednesday. That earned the world number 19 a warning from the umpire and raised the spectre of one year ago.
But the 22-year-old returned for the second set with renewed determination and errors began creeping into Zverev's game. Zverev, ranked 27 in the world and the older brother of rising star Alexander, surrendered his first service game of the second set and Kyrgios was never in trouble after that, surging into the quarter-finals 3-6, 6-2, 6-2. Kyrgios said facing Zverev a year after Shanghai, and again in China, was the perfect opportunity to show how far he has come. "I just wanted to go out there today and kind of redeem myself a little bit from last year," he said, adding: "I just wanted to prove to myself how much I have improved." During one changeover the Australian appeared so relaxed that he sat back on his chair, arms behind his head, and sang along with a pop hit being played over the stadium loudspeakers. "Nothing really, just chilling out," Kyrgios said afterwards, asked about his behaviour. He plays the Belgian qualifier Steve Darcis in the last eight.






The Ancient Times

UK's Theresa May says sorry for poor election, vows social reforms
photo

MANCHESTER: British Prime Minister Theresa May apologized to her party on Wednesday for a disastrous election result and promised economic help for struggling families, as she tried to restore momentum to a divided government. In a Conservative Party conference speech full of idealistic language but interrupted by a prankster, May said the election campaign had been "too scripted, too presidential." "I led the campaign, and I am sorry," she said.
The Conservatives are in a sour mood after June's snap election, called three years early in hopes of bolstering the party's majority in Parliament, saw May's government reduced to a minority administration. The poor result has left May weakened and struggling to unite a government divided over Brexit and other issues. May closed the party's annual conference with a speech telling ministers to "shape up" and focus on "the daily lives of ordinary working people." In a bid to appeal to middle- and lower-income voters, May promised to put a price cap on energy bills and to get government back into the business of building public housing. British governments, including Conservative ones, built hundreds of thousands of homes in the decades after World War II.
But Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's decision in the 1980s to allow properties owned by local authorities to be sold to residents marked a major shift, and in the last two decades successive governments have largely left house-building to the private sector. May promised "a new generation of council houses to help fix our broken housing market." Rising prices have made home ownership an increasingly elusive goal for many, especially in London and other big cities.
May needed a strong speech to help fight off rivals to her job, including ambitious Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson. But the address did not go entirely to plan. May struggled with a cough and a hoarse voice that forced her to pause repeatedly. Midway through the speech a prankster walked up and handed May a P45, the form given to people being laid off. As he was bundled away by security, the joker, identified in media reports as comedian Simon Brodkin, said "Boris told me to do it." May's office said the prankster had been arrested for breach of the peace and there would be a "thorough investigation" into how he was able to get into the high- security conference venue.






The Ancient Times

Petrol price down Rs 2.50 a litre, diesel by Rs 2.25
photo

NEW DELHI: Petrol price was on Wednesday cut by Rs 2.50 per litre and diesel by Rs 2.25 following the reduction in excise duty on auto fuels.
Petrol in Delhi now costs Rs 68.38 a litre, down from Rs 70.88. A litre of diesel now comes for Rs 56.89 as against Rs 59.14 previously, according to Indian Oil Corp (IOC), the nation's largest fuel retailer.
The government had on Tuesday cut excise duty on petrol and diesel by Rs 2 per litre each to moderate the relentless rise in fuel prices over the last three months.
IOC Director (Finance) A K Sharma said the cut in retail selling price is higher after factoring in its impact on VAT. As things stand, excise duty is levied on fuel produced ex-refinery. Local sales tax or VAT is levied on the total of ex-refinery cost plus excise duty and commission paid to dealers.
So, till yesterday the VAT on petrol in Delhi was Rs 15.07 while today it stands at Rs 14.54. On diesel, VAT today is Rs 8.41 per litre as against Rs 8.73 previously.
The excise duty cut paused the relentless rise in rates witnessed since July 4. While petrol prices had increased by Rs 7.80 to reach Rs 70.88 a litre in Delhi yesterday, the highest since August 2014, diesel rates had risen by Rs 5.70 to touch an all-time high of Rs 59.14.
The excise duty cut would cost the government Rs 26,000 crore in annual revenue and about Rs 13,000 crore during the remaining part of the current fiscal year that ends on March 31, 2018, the government had said yesterday. The government, which had between November 2014 and January 2016 raised excise duty on petrol and diesel on nine occasions to take away gains arising from plummeting global oil prices, has been criticised for not cutting excise duty despite a sustained rise in fuel prices since early July. In all, duty on petrol was hiked by Rs 11.77 per litre and that on diesel by 13.47 a litre in those 15 months that helped government's excise mop-up more than double to Rs 2,42,000 crore in 2016-17 from Rs 99,000 crore in 2014-15. While the costliest petrol was sold in September 2013 when it was priced at Rs 76.06 a litre in Delhi, the previous highest rate for diesel was also during the BJP rule in September 2014 when it was priced at Rs 58.97 per litre. On petrol, excise has been cut to Rs 19.48 per litre from Rs 21.48 per litre and on diesel to Rs 15.33 a litre from Rs 17.33 previously. The rise in petrol and diesel prices also reflected in wholesale price inflation, which increased to 3.24 per cent in August 2017, as compared to 1.88 per cent in July.

photo

NEW DELHI: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Wednesday kept the key interest rates unchanged , as was widely expected. Repo rate - the rate at the which the central bank lends short-term money to banks- thus continues to stay at 6 per cent. The RBI had cut repo rate by 25 basis points (bps) in August.
RBI has also cut the economic growth forecast for the current fiscal to 6.7 per cent from earlier projections of 7.3 per cent.
"The decision of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) is consistent with a neutral stance of monetary policy in consonance with the objective of achieving the medium-term target for consumer price index (CPI) inflation of 4 per cent within a band of +/- 2 per cent, while supporting growth," RBI said in its fourth policy review of 2017-18.
SLR or statutory liquidity ratio was, however, cut by 50 basis points to 19.5 per cent with effect from October 14. Banks are required to invest certain percentage of their deposits in specified financial securities like Central Government or State Government securities. This percentage is known as SLR. However, with adequate liquidity in the system, the SLR cut is unlikely to have much impact on banks.
The announcement which came at the end of a two-day meeting of the MPC of the RBI, is in sync with what the experts had predicted. Inflation, which in August reached a five-month high of 3.36 per cent, is being billed as the reason behind RBI's decision to maintain status quo. The RBI decision of increasing inflation forecast from 4 per cent to a range of 4.2 to 4.6 per cent for the October to March half backs this proposition. Analysts expect inflation could continue to quicken, given food prices tend to rise during the winter. Reverse repo rate - the rate at which the central bank borrows money from commercial banks- was also left unchanged at 5.75 per cent. RBI Governor Urjit Patel also calarified that the central bank continues to maintain a 'neutral' stand. "The MPC (Monetary Policy Committee) decided to keep the policy stance neutral and monitor incoming data closely. The MPC remains committed to keeping headline inflation close to 4 per cent on a durable basis," the policy review said. Commenting upon the RBI's decision, Tushar Arora, Senior Economist of HDFC Bank said, " No surprises as such. Going strictly by the optics of headline inflation is unlikely to result in rate cuts". The government and industry bodies though had been pushing RBI for yet another rate cut. "There is scope for monetary easing because of inflation projections," on Tuesday, news agency PTI had quoted a finance ministry official as saying. Industry body CII (Confederation of Indian Industry) had pitched for a rate cut of 100 bps while Assocham too had written to the MPC. The slowing down of private investments being one of the major reasons behind the slump in growth, industry was hopeful of a rate cut, in order to provide a booster shot to the economy. The central bank said it is imperative to reinvigorate investment activity which, in turn, would revive the demand for bank credit by industry as existing capacities get utilised and the requirements of new capacity open up to be financed. "Recapitalising public sector banks adequately will ensure that credit flows to the productive sectors are not impeded and growth impulses not restrained," it said.






The Ancient Times

The Great Scape Ride of 2017 by Alisha Jebin, Lady in Pink Jacket
photo

Millennial these days have lot of hobbies and passion onto the paper but how far are they willing to take their passion to the next level. Meet Alisha Jebin (24), Bangalore, currently working for Societe Generale - a French Investment bank. She might look like an average everyday 9-5 worker commuting in the never ending world of Bangalore traffic. What if I told you that she is one of youngest and fastest women on a motorcycle! Yes, there was an article that caught my eye couple of months back about a Bangalore Lady Biker completing 1600+ kms within 24 hours, and later few days back the same news populated across Social media that the Bangalore Lady Biker who took up the challenge was recognized by IBR for the fastest and Longest Kilometers covered by a Women biker in 24hours! The lady was none other than Alisha Jebin. In the fast moving world, Alisha took up the challenge to complete a Saddle Sore attempt which is to record 1600+ Kms in 24 hours on a two wheeler of any sort. 12 June 2017 will always be remembered as she recorded 1662 Kms in 22 hours in a Royal Enfield Thunderbird!.She had become the fastest and youngest women rider to complete 1600+kms in 24 hours beating the existing record. The Ancient Times reached out to Alisha after she was recognized by prestigious India Book of Records. When asked about the motive of the ride and her future plans, she said " My passion towards riding a Morotcycle came in early in life during my schooling. After I bought my Royal Enfield Thinderbird 350cc in March 2016, every weekend was a ride of 200kms and more. Once read about Chaitra Priya being the only women in India to have covered 1600kms in 24hours, I also wanted to test my endurance level, which took me one step forward in doing the saddle sore challenge. Through the monsoon rains I rode solo in the roads of Bangalore-Pune-Bangalore, through which I learnt to believe in myself better, and a confidence level I never knew I had. I do not have any future plans now. Maybe when my heart says to do it, I'll just do it :)" Being said that she is all set to conquer what her heart wants, The Ancient times is so happy to interview a young, energetic individual who wants the world to identify her on her passion and we wish Alisha all the best to future endeavors and accolades ahead.

photo

NEW DELHI: Even as the Supreme Court on Monday issued a notice to the Centre and the Haryana government on a plea seeking that the CBI and/or a special investigation team (SIT) probe the murder of a 7-year-old boy in a private Gurugram school , it decided, of its own accord, to examine the issue of safety measures in all private schools. Following the murder of Pradhyumn Thakur at the Gurugram branch of Ryan International School on Friday, a batch of lawyers told the apex court that private schools are not implementing guidelines to ensure safety of students . The lawyers further appealed to the Supreme Court to take suo moto cognisance, or examine of its own accord, safety in private schools. Read this story in Bengali The top court on Monday therefore said it will look into the issue of safety measures in all private schools and not confine itself specifically to the case of Ryan International School. Earlier in the day, Pradhyumn's father, Varun Thakur, filed a plea in the top court asking for a CBI/SIT probe into his son's murder . A bus conductor working at school allegedly confessed to the murder. Late on Sunday, two senior officials of the Gurugram branch of Ryan International School were arrested by police as protests intensified against the school over its alleged inaction in the murder of Pradhyumn. The School's CEO Ryan Pinto and his parents on Monday filed an anticipatory bail plea in Bombay High Court.
"Francis Thomas, Regional head, and J Thomas, HR head, have been arrested under JJ Act on late Sunday night," said police. The area's police station in charge was also suspended for "negligence in maintaining law and order". "SHO, Sadar police station, Sohna Road, was suspended with immediate effect last (Sunday) night. Speedy investigation underway," said Gurugram's police commissioner. Police on Sunday lathi-charged protesters outside Ryan International School in Gurugram. Angry parents and locals gathered outside the school premises to express their dissatisfaction over the investigation being carried out by the Gurgaon Police. They demanded a CBI probe into the murder.
"We're not satisfied with the ongoing investigation, the bus conductor is being framed. School management must take responsibility of students' safety," Jyoti, a parent, told ANI on Sunday. The demonstration took a violent turn as the agitating crowd set a liquor shop close to the school on fire. Police then resorted to lathi-charge to bring the situation under control and disperse the protesters. Haryana education minister Ram Bilas Sharma assured parents that strict action will be taken against the school authorities and the accused would soon be brought to justice. "Under section 75 of the Juvenile Act, action will be taken against school management. The accused will be presented before Court within a week," Sharma told mediapersons at a press briefing. He said the government was open to a CBI probe the heinous crime. "If parents are dissatisfied with the police investigation, then Haryana government will order CBI probe," he said.
Pradhyumn, a class 2 student, was discovered with his throat slit inside a washroom on the school premises on Friday. The very same day, police arrested Ashok Kumar, a conductor of one of the school's buses, who later allegedly confessed to the crime under interrogation. Police claimed that Kumar had tried to sexually abuse the victim, but when the boy resisted, he killed him and fled the spot. The alleged perpetrator told police that he'd gone to the washroom and waited there, intending to sexually assault any student who walked in. Kumar also revealed that he'd been carrying a knife as he knew he wouldn't be frisked by the school guards, who recognised him. "As soon as the boy entered the toilet, Kumar held him. But the boy resisted his attempts with full force and when the accused failed to sodomise him, he slit his throat and right ear," a senior police officer told PTI. However, contradictory reports soon arose, claiming that Kumar was being framed for the murder.